Thursday, July 16, 2015

What's That Tingling In My Toe?

So, I'll admit it.  Sometimes I feel weird things in my body and swear something is wrong with me.   I might be guilty of going to WebMD every so often just to check things out.  But, I keep it to myself so as not to be the crazy one, or the hypochondriac. I won't go into detail on these things I've researched, but there's one that's quite interesting, happening post surgery, that I had to ask.

"Dr. C, I have to ask you the strangest question I think you'll ever get post surgery. I've waited 5 weeks to see if it goes away...lol."  Clearly you can see that I'm setting up my doctor to be prepared for any and everything I might ask.  Basically, I was justifying my asking the question and making myself feel better about it.

I continue.  "Has anyone ever said that they have nerve tingling on the top of their foot leading to their second toe after surgery? Both feet?"  See, I told you, weird.  

For the past five weeks, I've had the strangest sensations in the tops of my feet which lead to my second toe on each foot.  I would move my feet, flexing, turning, whatever I could do to try and shake it off.  I thought maybe it was just in my head.  Maybe its from all the bed rest.  Maybe I just needed a massage.  But what if I said something and everyone thought I was crazy?  What if I was all the sudden the hypochondriac?  Who has tingling in their feet as a result of surgery?

Who?  Me!  I'm NOT crazy!

Turns out I always have to do things not-so-by-the-book.  I got seroma after surgery which needed to be aspirated, and now I have tingling toes. Turns out, this is from the compression socks I wore during surgery.  I told you they were super tight, the nurses even had a fancy way of using a plastic bag to slip them up my leg more easily.  Well, there's a nerve called the Peroneal Nerve than runs down the leg...then into the second toe which is called the Deep Peroneal Nerve.  My nerves got bruised a bit from the top of the compression socks.  

After researching a bit further, I found some stories about numbness and tingling from people who fly with compression socks, but it usually resolves itself in a few days or weeks.  I have flying compression socks, they're nothing like surgical socks.  So I now get why my poor second toes tingle right now and for so long.  I'm told this will resolve itself over time.  For now, just call me tingly toes.





No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you!