Saturday, September 29, 2018

Fat Grafting or No...One of the Most Asked Questions of Me

I had an amazing experience with my surgery, from beginning to end.  I'm one of the ones who truly had a one and done experience.  I chose a phenomenal team at PRMA in San Antonio, using Dr. Chrysopoulo as my surgeon.  Dr. C, as we all affectionately call him, is a microsurgeon and even more importantly, a board certified plastic surgeon skilled in breast reconstruction.  I cannot emphasize enough how important it is to do your research before you settle on a surgeon or surgical team.  You have a choice. You have the right.  You need to choose someone who knows what he/she is doing.  Someone who can connect you to previous patients, someone who can show before and after photos, and most importantly, someone who will listen to YOU.

That being said, I often get asked whether or not I had any fat grafting done after my "one and done" surgery.  The answer is, no.  For me, I feel like my results really couldn't be any better.  Could I be fuller?  Maybe.  Is there animation I wish would be covered?  Slightly.  But is the process worth it?  I don't feel it is, for ME.  Firstly, let me explain what fat grafting is.

File:Breasts.svg - Wikimedia Commons


Fat grafting basically involves taking fat from one part of the body and putting it in another.  In this case, it is most often taken from the stomach or thighs and placed into the breasts via liposuction.  Again, DO YOUR RESEARCH.  You need to make sure the place you're going to does this often, has correct procedures and know how to handle the fat cells properly.  But that's it.  In and out.

So why don't I want to do it?  I don't want to go through any more procedures, I really don't.  But that, on top of the fact that there's no guarantee that the first procedure will stick, added to me thinking it just wasn't worth it.  There's actually a chance that 30-50% of the fat in the first transfer will be reabsorbed by the body.  30-50%!  That's too high for me to think it's worth it.  I'm reading Facebook posts talking about this very thing, weekly.  Women going in for fat grafting, loving the immediate results, but then having reabsorption and having to choose whether to go through another procedure or just leave it alone and be happy with what they have.

So, for those of you who write in and ask if I ever did fat grafting, or why I didn't, there you go.  It was a personal decision and I'm happy with it.  For me, my journey was always about removing my ticking time bombs, not about perfection.  But, I'm pretty damn close, and I'm happy with that.

For answers to questions you might have, check out The Breast Advocate App.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you!